THISISNIX REVIEWS SOME DC NEW 52 #0 ISSUES PEEPED RECENTLY…
- Aquaman #0: Luscious artwork and colour throughout, but bit of a weak storyline for a zero issue?! It didn’t feel like there was enough content in the writing. Perhaps I ought to give New 52 Aquaman Vol 1: The Trench a chance, to better explain the Arthur Curry origin story, because the Zero issue didn’t feel like it had enough written content at all for a new reader..bit of a shame really, as originally I was excited to read this Zero issue the most out of this bunch.
- Wonder Woman #0: Really interesting storyline for this Zero issue. I loved the approach to telling the back story of Diana but as a young warrior, not just the whole lead up to ‘birth from clay’ rehash again. Really good writing on this Zero issue, provides a nice lead up to New 52 Wonder Woman Vol 1: Blood. Artwork is sharp and edgier with Wonder Woman New 52 - real nice heavy crisp outlines!
- Birds Of Prey #0: Ridiculously quick storyline in this Zero issue?! Black Canary seems to be the only character focus I could grasp. The artwork has this blue wash filter over it which looks sleek, but it cools everything down with one tone too much. Was left feeling like I really don’t know that much about Black Canary, Starling, or Batgirl ..other than they’ve just been introduced to each other via The Penguin. I guess perhaps another series to check out in New 52 Birds Of Prey Vol 1: Trouble in Mind, to gain better understanding of how they came to be.
- Action Comics: Superman #0: I liked this Zero issue. A really touching storyline of a boy who steals Supey’s cape. Also, the artwork is really soft and gentle with a warm hazy sunlight feel to it. Includes an interesting "DC Comics Proudly Presents: Before The New 52" snippet read at the end: Origin Of The Species.
- The Phantom Stranger #0: The best looking artwork I’ve seen so far in Zero issues. So, The Phantom Stranger is basically Judas Iscariot from the New Testament Bible, to put it bluntly. It’s a really interesting storyline though, and makes me even more excited for DC to launch their next huge crossover event. Oo, with the hints they’ve been dropping so far it’s already gearing up to something where you just KNOW $h!tzgonna go down, and yet again.. things won’t ever be the same again in the DCU afterwards.. -iLOVE it.